Friday, 16 December 2016
28 parenthood confessions
We all know that parenting is hard work. And we all know that there is no real right or wrong way to bring up a child - with a few exceptions of course. But it's really easy to get bogged down with the perfect appearance of parenthood that is broadcast across social media and blogs. Hey, I'll even admit that I don't exactly publish posts on all the crappy bits of having a baby. I want my bit of the internet to be as positive as possible, but I also want to be realistic.
I've made a lot of mummy friends through this blog via social media, and they are all great girls. I'm loving see all the new babies joining us month by month (at getting mildly broody too - my tiny baby is getting big very fast!). One thing I've noticed though is that we don't always share the little secrets of parenthood.
So today's blog post is a little, ok, maybe a bit of a large list of confessions from my six months as a parent. None of them of really big issues, just little things, that I';m sure many parents have experienced, or that new ones are going to shortly. The secret side of parenting.
1. I've fallen asleep with Henry in my arms. He was absolutely fine. There was no risk I would drop him as we were wedged in a corner and he was in a position that he couldn't suffocate.
2. I felt so guilty about no.1.
3. Now we co-sleep regularly (and safely).
4. I've experienced a leaky poo nappy - on a white t-shirt.
5. I laughed hysterically when Dann got hit in the face with pee.
6. Weaning and how to do it/ when to do it has been a huge worry to me.
7. I've let Henry play with an empty packet of crisps - he was supervised.
8. I've cried with Henry when he wouldn't settle.
9. I've gone through four dribble bibs in one day before.
10. I said I wouldn't have many toys in our living room - that room now resembles a stay and play.
11. I've argued with Dann more times in the last six months than we did in the eight years we'd been together before Henry arrived.
12. BUT I've never loved him more than in the last six months. Seeing him with Henry is one of the greatest things I'll ever witness.
13. I spent a week sleeping on the sofa with Henry during a heatwave in the summer as it was too hot in our room.
14. I often rock on the spot without Henry even being in the room.
15. I've taken so many photos and videos of Henry, my phone is now 85% full.
16. I've bumped Henry's head when putting him on his changing mat - he was fine.
17. I regularly stay in pyjamas for days - and so does Henry - though he has his changed over daily.
18. I've had spit-up in my hair for 24 hours.
19. I spend an inordinate amount of time tracking down dummies to be sterilised.
20. We've had the same film on repeat all day for, for several days on the trot - How to Train Your Dragon 2 is a favourite at the moment.
21. There isn't much that is more entertaining than a baby in a hat that is too big for them.
22. I spent a lot of time crying in the early days - especially whilst breastfeeding - it does get easier.
23. I have accidentally sprayed Henry in the face with breastmilk.
24. I panicked that Henry was being over fed for ages - until I saw the Health Visitor - turns out he's pretty much perfect growth-wise!
25. It was over three months until I realised there was a powder leveller on the side of the lid to his milk powder - specifically designed to level the powder on the scoop!
26. I have tried to put a cup of tea in the fridge more times than I would like to admit.
27. The amount of undrunk, cold tea I've made/thrown away could probably save a village from drought.
28. I wouldn't change a thing about parenthood. It's made me stronger, wiser and more empathetic. I'm a better person for becoming a mother.
How about you? How many of these can you tick off? Or have you got any to add?
© Illustrated Teacup | All rights reserved.