Christmas Eve box

We’re properly getting into the Christmas spirit over at our house, and are loving creating lots of new traditions for our little family. After all, Christmas is all about family and traditions.

One of the things I’ve seen on Pinterest and Facebook over recent years is Christmas Eve Boxes, and I fell in love with the idea. Of course, having Henry meant I needed to start the tradition straight away.

I love the idea of getting the Christmas joy started as early as possible (in December, I’m not completely insane), we get our decorations out on the 1st December and do little trips out to the local Christmas Markets. We have an advent candle, and next year will do advent calendars too. This year though just made sense to start our Christmas Eve Box, and I thought I’d share how I’ve done it, and on a budget too.

Now you can go all out and buy a beautiful box from Not on the High Street or Etsy, which come personalised, but they can be a little pricey, usually starting around £25 per box. Then you need to fill it each year.
I decided, after a trip to Homesense, to make my own. I picked up a gorgeous gift box for about £5.99, and it comes with a velcro tab to keep it closed. If you saw this post from the beginning of the month, you’ll know I adore Homesense for Christmas buys, especially as they’re pretty unique and often one of a kind.
To really make this box our own, I personalised it with these gorgeous gold and white striped stickers from The Range (another great place for unique and quirky buys, and loads of crafty bits!). I of course put stickers on the top of the box, but as I had so many, I decided to add a little note to the underneath of the box too.

What’s inside our box?
I knew I wanted to include new pyjamas every year, perfect for putting on on Christmas Eve, and waking up in on Christmas morning. I picked up this adorable My First Christmas Sleepsuit from George at Asda. I love it probably too much, and the matching hat!!!

I’ve also included a book – just a random one for Henry’s collection, but it will be the perfect bedtime story for Christmas Eve. As he’s also getting books as Christmas presents, and I didn’t want the Christmas Eve Box to over shadow his main presents, this one is from Poundland. But a books a book at the end of the day. The Works also do great affordable books too. As he gets older, we’ll probably pick Christmas books to go in the box.

To go alongside the book, we’ve picked a Christmassy DVD too. We’ll have snuggles on the sofa, in our Christmas pyjamas. Again, we’ve just gone for a cheap old classic – Happy Feet, because Henry loves penguins.

And what goes well with DVDs, well chocolate of course. . We’ll must likely start that next year when he’s properly eating as he’s only just started weaning, with chocolate coins. We’ll also be adding little hot chocolate sachets and mini marshmallows too.

And that’s Henry’s Christmas Eve Box, all on a little budget! We’ve got lots of room in the box to keep developing it, and of course ensure the PJs still fit inside each year!

Are you, or have you done a Christmas Eve Box? What’s inside?

Affiliate Links used across this blog

December 6, 2016 / 6:05 pm

Thank you – me too. Christmas traditions are what makes Christmas i think!!

1. Louise Joy
    December 6, 2016 / 1:40 pm

This is such a cute idea! And I think a new pair of pajamas every Christmas eve is a must have – I always buy myself a new pair! When I was younger, my parents would let us open one gift on Christmas Eve but I like this idea as it's a bit more tailored to that particular evening x

December 6, 2016 / 6:06 pm

Haha definitely! Think I'm going to have to get myself some too!!

2. Natasha Fairbrother
    December 6, 2016 / 2:23 pm

It's our first year introducing the Christmas Eve box too, (although ours is a lot smaller and I've got one for the children to share due to costs) I love the box you've chosen from HomeSense and the customising stickers, such a cute idea.Will do a little blog post on ours too so you can sneak a peek inside xxNatashabebebearcubs.blogspot.co.uk

December 6, 2016 / 6:07 pm

Definitely check Homesense – i think this was about £5.99 so super affordable! Let me know when you post as I'd love to see it!!

3. Sabeeka Lambe
    December 6, 2016 / 3:03 pm

This is such a cute idea.. I have started done something similar last year and will surely use ideas from here

December 6, 2016 / 6:09 pm

Thank you! Glad I could inspire!

4. Rhian Westbury
    December 6, 2016 / 3:07 pm

I always get PJ's on Xmas eve so I can wake up on Xmas day with them so a xmas eve box sounds lovely x

December 6, 2016 / 6:10 pm

Definitely think Christmas PJs are a must for everyone!!

5. Emma Heapy
    December 6, 2016 / 6:04 pm

I love the Christmas Eve boxes, can't wait to do one for our baby next year! The box is perfect too for £6! xxGlossy Boutique

December 6, 2016 / 9:19 pm

I'm all about the bargains!! ha ha!

6. Chelsey Lauren x
    December 6, 2016 / 6:25 pm

I can not wait to do a Christmas Eve box for K next year! If I could do one this year I would but I just kinda feel it's pointless as he has no idea what is happening. That box is amazing for £6, just seen a new Homesense near me. Ill have to go look at their Christmas stuff! x

December 6, 2016 / 9:20 pm

Ha ha Henry is literally completely oblivious – the box is more for me than anything else!! Definitely get to Homesense when it opens – it's amazing!

7. Zena's Suitcase
    December 6, 2016 / 9:12 pm

We have a bit of a Christmas eve box every year too. It has pyjamas in and a few treats, as well as the magic key that Santa uses to open the door as we don't have a chimney

December 8, 2016 / 8:00 am

OMG I love the magic key idea for Santa!!

8. Dena Jayne
    December 6, 2016 / 9:18 pm

Such a lovely idea, something I will do in the future! Enjoy your Christmas xo

December 8, 2016 / 8:01 am

Thank you! And you too!!

9. Jennifer Durrans
    December 7, 2016 / 9:35 pm

Omg! This is the cutest thing I have ever seen! Making me feel so Christmassy now!! 🙂

December 8, 2016 / 8:01 am

Getting presents ready is definitely one of my favourite things to do to get all Christmassy!!

10. Renna Creighton
    December 8, 2016 / 2:30 pm

Aaah bless, I love the idea but we've never done it. However we've always opened one present on Xmas eve (as there are normally so many) and that's gets everyone excited for the next day.

December 9, 2016 / 11:50 am

I think opening a gift on christmas eve is actually really common – way more than I thought – which is just lovely.

11. Leah XL Channel
    December 10, 2016 / 12:18 am

We're feeling so festive already in our house. That box is so lovely too, what a sweet idea x

December 10, 2016 / 4:54 pm