Gingerbread Houses with Friends

I think one of the best things about Christmas has to be the food. Am I right? There’s nothing like really good good to get you in the festive spirit.
And the food at Christmas is always so special too. Pigs in blankets, mince pies, chocolate log, Christmas pudding, turkey, candy canes and gingerbread houses.

And I seriously love gingerbread houses. We decorated our own a couple of years back, but as this is the year of starting traditions, it only seemed right to get decorating again.
As Henry is still a little young (OMG next Christmas guys, next Christmas is going to be amazing!!) we decided to have a decorating contest with our friends (and Henry’s Godparents) Alice and Arran one Friday night!

Alongside our competition we had Bailey’s and Bucks Fizz, pigs in blankets and mince pies of course, to get really Christmassy.

We picked up the houses with lots of decorations and icing from Tesco.
Here’s some photos from our evening – we even voted on a fave – but you’ll have to wait til the end of the post to see who Twitter crowned as our winner!!

It got very competitive as you can probably imagine, as it was boys versus girls. And much harder to ice, but loads more fun also, than we all thought.
In the end, the boys won 52% to 48%. Pretty sure their additional pink icing nailed it, but we also had a little helping hand from the Lola’s Cupcakes that Alice brought, which we stole decorations from!

We’re already planning year two for next year, and the competition will be even hotter!!

Have you built your own Gingerbread House yet? Or would you like to add it to your Christmas traditions?

Affiliate Links used across this blog

1. Lucie Loves It
    December 12, 2016 / 9:28 am

Oh Man that looks SO much fun! I can't wait for next year as she'll be 1 and gosh it will be a whole new ball game! haha Same for Henry!I personally loved your Gingerbread House! Loved this tradition so much and think we may try it next year! :DLucie xx | LucieLovesit.com

• Rachel Bradford
      December 13, 2016 / 2:25 pm

Definitely the same for us, apparently Henry will be on the boys team!! And thanks!!

2. Babiesandbeauty
    December 12, 2016 / 10:29 am

Yours was definitely the best haha! This kit looks pretty good tbh and I've been looking for one that isn't going to fall apart so may have to grab this one. Emily // http://www.babiesandbeauty.com

• Rachel Bradford
      December 13, 2016 / 2:26 pm

Well we thought the same!! It's an excellent kit, easy instructions and comes with the decorations too! And only £4!

3. Tinyfootsteps Blog
    December 12, 2016 / 3:38 pm

These look amazing, Rachel. I'm hoping Jasmine might be old enough to do one of these with me this year. I've not yet found a good kit though so I'll definitely check out these ones. 🙂 Jenna at Tinyfootsteps xx

• Rachel Bradford
      December 13, 2016 / 2:26 pm

We really loved these ones. Will definitely buy these again next year!

4. Emma Heapy
    December 13, 2016 / 1:19 pm

This looks so much fun! I agree the best thing about christmas has to be the food, yum! xxGlossy Boutique

• Rachel Bradford
      December 13, 2016 / 2:27 pm

The diet starts in January, am I right!?!?

5. Claire Louise
    December 14, 2016 / 7:42 pm

Oh my they look amazing! I love gingerbread, we tried making a gingerbread house one year but they did not turn out as nice as yours.

• Rachel Bradford