A weekend in the countryside

I’m trying to get back into using my blog as a diary as much as a platform to share thoughts and ideas. With Henry growing up SO fast I really want to make sure I record as much as possible on this blog so I have it to look back on – plus it really motivates me to take lots of photos (in keeping with my 2017 resolutions!)

At the weekend we decided to go back up to Buckinghamshire as Dann had some annual leave to use up and had a random Friday off work. We both love going back up to Danns home village. It’s the perfect quintessential place and is like the village that time forgot (apart from the cars, and the broadbadnd – though thank goodness for the wifi as the only signal is in the middle of a field!).

We’re really making sure this year to go and visit family as much as we can, and to go out and do things as a family with Henry, especially whilst I’m still in maternity leave!

So I’ve out together a little photo diary for you, and well, for me too! (warning – this is very photo heavy, like you;d expect anything less!)

So we started out with a little visit to Marlow, Buckinghamshire, which is just down the road (ok several roads, but you get the idea) from Dann’s home village. Marlow means a lot to both of us as we both spent our childhoods in the town, and our wedding reception was held there too (more on that shortly).

We took a stroll along the river, and got very excited about the summer and coming back to feed the ducks with a toddling Henry.

So the above photo is of our wedding reception venue, the Compleat Angler. It was my childhood dream to have my wedding (or at least some part of it) here. It is so beautiful and very high on my list of favourite places on the planet. I got ready in the suite on the righthand side under the Compleat Angler sign and it was the most beautiful hotel room I’ve ever stayed in, followed very closely by our wedding night room!

For the afternoon we decided to have a walk in the village which ultimately put Henry to sleep, which is always a good thing. Lots of fresh air and a happy baby – win win!

Meeting Bob (again) at the Garage. Henry is literally obsessed by Dann’s parent’s dogs Alfie and Bob. He finds them so funny, even when they bark and get a little excited, Henry giggles at them. Please always love animals my little love, Id be very happy to help you become a vet one day!

I warned you that the village is so perfectly quintessential! Look at the houses!! And that Hovis sign! I had to reshare the image here after sharing on Instagram.

We love the local cows, and yet again, my little lad found them hilarious!

Also, fun fact, the barn below, was used for the Jack and the Beanstalk barn in Into the Woods. It’s now being stripped back and rebuilt (keeping it’s original beams and overall structure). Hambleden Village and the surrounding woods are used a lot for filming and it’s always fun trying to spot laces we know afterwards.

I told you Henry loves dogs. These aren’t the best photos in the world – unfortunately I left my camera at home for this trip so everything is from my mobile – but I adore Henry’s face in the above photo. That is pure love and happiness right there, and today, this week, and this year, I think we need to see that as much as we can!

1. so far so sabine
    January 30, 2017 / 9:00 am

What a great stroll on the country side! This looks seriously like the perfect getaway even! So nice to spend time as a family! That must be so amazing

2. Me, him, the dog and a baby blog
    January 30, 2017 / 9:53 am

Looks like a lovely day was had!!

3. Anonymous
    January 30, 2017 / 10:05 am

What a beautiful getaway! Great idea to use your blog as a diary. Children seem to grow up in a hurry; my son is already 5.- Melissa / http://theanxiouscanadian.com/

4. Katy S
    January 30, 2017 / 10:06 am

Looks like you had a fantastically fun time – you look so happy together!

5. Bethany Perkins
    January 30, 2017 / 10:23 am

What a beautiful place, sounds like an incredible place to grow up. Looks like Henry had a great time too! Lovely photos x

6. Emma Louise
    January 30, 2017 / 10:50 am

Ah my friend lives over that way, it's so lovely there! Glad you had a good weekend, so nice to get away from it all from time to time x

7. Fillia Barden
    January 30, 2017 / 12:55 pm

Nice break you have. I love seeing the photo of your baby with the dog :p

8. Kerri-Ann
    January 30, 2017 / 1:55 pm

Looks like you had a fantastic trip. Some lovely photos. I love this type of post and regularly post the same photo heavy posts actually. Lovely to find your blog from the Parent Blogger Pod. I run a monthly linky you might like called #MyFamilyAdventures

9. best electric griddle
    January 30, 2017 / 2:32 pm

We always conscious about food when we prepare for weekend or outside plan.

10. Lindsey Burton-Harrison
    January 30, 2017 / 3:34 pm

Aww this looks lovely and quaint, plus loving that jumper ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿพ

11. Nora
    January 30, 2017 / 4:18 pm

Gorgeous photos! Looks like you guys had a blast. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm not a countryside person but I should definitely visit my relatives more often.XOXO Nora / https://dreamerachiever.com

12. Kirsty McManus
    January 30, 2017 / 6:20 pm

Lovely post Rachel – you all look like you've had so much fun!โ˜บ๏ธโ˜บ๏ธ Henry will have so much to look back on!

13. Jasmin N
    January 30, 2017 / 6:26 pm

Oh this reminds me of my childhood! ๐Ÿ™‚ Looks like you had so much fun out there, nothing beats a good getaway weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

14. maikel
    January 30, 2017 / 6:49 pm

This looks like such a lovely little getaway and it seems like you've had such a blast! Its so important to spend some qualitytime.

15. Analesha L
    January 30, 2017 / 10:12 pm

What a gorgeous family you have! It's always so nice spending quality time together. Sounds like you had a blast!

16. Erika A.
    January 31, 2017 / 7:55 am

Such a cool place. Very relaxing and calm. I wish I had a place like that near where I live!

17. Jodie
    January 31, 2017 / 12:59 pm

This sounds like a lovely weekend. And what a great wedding venue!