Building our own mud kitchen: The Ordinary Moments

We finally had a bit of summer guys… in April!!
After snow and storms, I really wasn’t expecting a weekend of beautiful sunshine, and we certainly made the most of it.

We’ve been working on our garden periodically for months, with little updates here and here, and we’ve been able to do it on a budget which I’m pretty proud of. Recently we added wood chippings to the “kids area” of the garden to cover the concrete base, and make it a bit more child friendly. The last addition to this mini-section to the garden was our planned mud kitchen.

We’d planned on having it ready in time for Henry’s second birthday, but whilst Dann and Henry went for a walk they popped by our local farm shop and the owner said we could have some of his pallets as he just burns them anyway. So a couple of hours later Dann popped over with the car and collected two large pallets ready for demolition.

As we only had a little space between the end of the decking and the playhouse, so Dann decided to construct the mud kitchen from scratch, dismantling each pallet and building the back and then attaching the ‘table’ section afterwards, finishing with a shelf at the base. I don’t have any photos of the process, but there’s loads of inspiration on pinterest.

If you want to build your own you’ll need:
Pallets
2.5 inch no.8 screws (about a million of them!)
A saw
Metal hooks
Plastic washing up bowl
Outdoor wood paint

There’s a load of ideas on Pinterest, and you can see some of our inspiration on my Garden Inspiration board.
I finished the built kitchen with some leftover outdoor wood paint from the playhouse, some gold metal hooks, and a plastic washing up bowl – this isn’t glued in place so that we can take it out and empty it if/when needed.

All in all, I think it cost us £5 to put together, including a cheap set of plastic utensils from Tesco.

I’m pretty proud of our little kids garden corner, and I finally feel like the garden is basically done. Maybe a few more plants, but it is essentially all done.

Now for as much playing in the garden as we can get this summer, starting with straight after it was dry!

I’ve linked up with the Ordinary Moments with What the Red Head Said.

The Ordinary Moments

1. Gee Gardner
    May 7, 2018 / 6:22 pm

I love this! I have been planning to make a mud kitchen for the girls for ages so this will come in handy! £5 is amazing! x

2. Donna
    May 7, 2018 / 6:49 pm

Oh my gosh that mud kitchen is amazing, and I love that it matches the playhouse! x

3. Rachel Evans
    May 7, 2018 / 7:56 pm

This looks fantastic! Our local farm has a mud kitchen and my son loves it. There are so expensive to buy though. This is a fab idea!!

4. Veronika Tait
    May 7, 2018 / 8:18 pm

That is the cutest house! Also, I love the tats 😉

5. Where Roots And Wings Entwine
    May 8, 2018 / 2:04 pm

Love your mud kitchen. It is awesome that it matches your super cute playhouse. I am sure boy will have lots of fun playing in the mud kitchen over the next few years.

6. Lets Stop At Two Munchkins
    May 8, 2018 / 9:35 pm

It’s very. Cool £5 honestly is a bargain I thought be heck of a lot moreLooks like one u would buy love the colour ❤️

7. Emily / Babies and Beauty
    May 8, 2018 / 9:35 pm

Oh my word I can't believe you guys made that yourself, you could make a business out of this it's amazing. We love a good mud kitchen too, SO much fun.

8. Georgina Clarke
    May 9, 2018 / 8:12 am

That’s amazing! Think how much you’ll get out of it especially with baby number two so that’s a total bargain!

9. Lucie Loves It
    May 12, 2018 / 5:12 pm

This is so blooming amazing! What a great idea! Total bargain too!! Xx

10. Mandi
    May 13, 2018 / 7:58 am

I absolutely love how creative this is. It is amazing what can be put together with a bit of imagination and some pallets. Fab!